Nanosilicates and Polymer Nanocomposites
Shareholders in Portfolio Company
Investment Started: 2010
2.06 bln rubles
Co-investment by RUSNANO1.10 bln rubles
Production of modified layered nanosilicates, masterbatches, and polymer nanocomposites
By 2014 about 80 percent of the portfolio company’s products will be polymer nanocomposites from a moldable polymer base (matrix) and filler.
Compared with ordinary composites, the materials produced by METACLAY have new characteristics, including higher mechanical durability and fire safety and greater barriers to water and gas penetration. They are being used to protect oil and gas pipes from corrosion and to manufacture cushion blocks for railway fastenings, flexible packaging for FMCGs, and noncombustible cable insulation. Most of the products have been certified by customers and tested at their production lines.
METACLAY’s technology is based on developments by scientists at Russia’s leading R&D centers. To stay upfront, METACLAY has opened a
Areas of application
- Oil and gas
- Cable industry
- Automotive construction
- Customers in heavy industry and FMCG: pipes, cables, railway components and rolling stock, automotive components, and building materials as well as packaging for FMCG
- Superior characteristics over competing products at lower production costs
07 April 2016
Technologies and Products
METACLAY produces modified nanosilicates that it uses as base material for manufacturing polymer nanocomposites.
Innovative features of METACLAY’s nanocomposites due to the nanosized particles in the silicate fillers.
The silicate (aluminum silicate) particles introduced into the polymer materials change their ability to crystallize, adding another diffusion barrier.
Polymer composite based on nanoclay
Polymer base (matrix) and filler—a modified-organic nanoclay (montmorillonite). The structure of the onolayer of polymer nanocomposite and variations of organized microcomposites are illusstrated below.
Nanostructures, formed in polymer composites, imbue final products with new qualities:
- Greater impact resistance
- Lower gas permeability
- Lower combustibility, as low as zero
- Longer exploitation terms
- Smaller number of materials used
- Improved imperviousness of materials to fractures or cracks
- Lower fluidity of materials
- More even coating applications
- Better resistance to ultraviolet rays.
Silicate particles in the polymer matrix
METACLAY is manufacturing polymer nanocomposites using modern European oscillating extrusion units that raise the performance of the finished material by mixing components into a homogeneous state.