Nanostructured Ultradurable Cable with High Conductivity
Shareholders in Portfolio Company
Investment Started: 2011
1.02 bln rubles
Co-investment by RUSNANO0.45 bln rubles
Production of ultradurable, highly conductive nanostructured electrical cable developed at VNIINM
Moscow based portfolio company NANOELECTRO will manufacture up to 50 tons of ultradurable cable per year at design capacity.
Production technology involves melting and serial assembly of bimetallic
NANOELECTRO has already received numerous inquiries from Russian and international companies regarding purchase of the superwire.
- Wound cable with rectangular intersection for high power impulse magnets and magnet-pulse inductors
- Compositional contact cables for high speed railway transport
- Wire and cable of greater reliability for aviation and space equipment, fleet, and defense industry
- Particularly durable microcable for electronics, mini-electric motors, and highly flexible cable
Areas of application
- Science and industry (powerful impulse magnets)
- Aviation and space engineering
- National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Los Alamos
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorfscientific center, Germany
- Russian Railways
- Durability comparable to steel
- Electrical conductivity comparable to copper
13 July 2012
Technologies and Products
Superwires are wires with durability exceeding 500 megapascals and electric conductivity ranging from 40 percent to 80 percent of pure copper.
Specialists at NANOELECTRO have developed technology for serial assembly of bimetallic composite blanks, which are subsequently deformed in a copper matrix to permit the introduction of ordinary niobic wire with thickness of six nanometers to ten nanometers. In the composite cable that results, a two-millimeter by three-millimeter cross section contains as many as 400 million such fibers; they give the cable its mechanical durability.
The miniscule distance between fibers, comparable to the average length of electron run in the copper matrix, facilitates electrical conductivity of 40 percent to 80 percent of copper’s electrical conductivity. As part of this project, NANOELECTRO will organize industrial production of several types of goods with high market demand:
- Winding wire with rectangular cross sectioning for high-field pulse magnets and magnetic-pulse stamping;
- Composite contact cable for high-speed railway transport;
- Wire and cable with enhanced reliability for aviation and space equipment;
- Superior strength microwire for electronics, mini-electric motors, particularly flexible cables.