Basalt Fiber Construction Materials
Shareholders in Portfolio Company
Investment Started: 2011
0.95 bln rubles
Co-investment by RUSNANO0.4 bln rubles
Production of basalt fiber construction materials for Russia’s Far East and other regions with permafrost conditions
TBM plans to manufacture four products:
- Basalt-concrete composites for industrial and civil construction
- Basalt-plastic armature for reinforced concrete buildings and road coverings
- Basalt-plastic grids for reinforcing roadways, embankments, and slopes
- Basalt continuous filament, raw material for production of composite building materials
Areas of application
- Housing construction
- Road building
- Construction companies, road building companies and companies engaged in mining
- Low heat conductivity
- Highly durable in extreme cold
- Long service life
- Resistant to chemicals and corrosion
13 March 2014RUSNANO Sells Stake in Portfolio Company TBM
Technologies and Products
The basalt-based materials that TBM will produce within this project are specially designed for the extreme conditions in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) in Russia’s Far East, one of the Earth’s largest areas of permafrost. The materials have low thermal conductivity and long service lives, and they are highly durable in very low temperatures. Basalt’s resistance to corrosion and the effects of chemicals makes the materials suitable for use where moisture is high year round. In fact, basalt appears to be the best material for construction of homes and roads in permafrost.
The filament is obtained from natural rock in the basalt family. The rock is melted to a temperature of 1400°С. The material is then stretched into basaltic threads from which, after modification with nanoparticles, basalt-plastic construction materials and articles are made.
Local production of the basalt fiber materials will reduce transportation costs for construction materials and help normalize road and housing construction.